Have you been part of the I-do-not-have-the-perfect-body-so-I-can-never-wear-a-jumpsuit-tribe?
Unfortunately there’s a bunch of girls (a lot who I considered friends, who want to wear a jumpsuit, but believe that they must first lose 10 kilos “because jumpsuits are for perfectly build girls).”
NOT TRUE! I’m definitely not build like a supermodel and I love wearing them. Why? Because I know my perfect fit!
Today I will spread the jumpsuit joy, with a little help from my stylish friend Zee – and show you which jumpsuit will suit your body shape (no sit-ups required).
Whether you are pear-, apple or rectangular – there’s a jumpsuit out there for you – say it with me now:
YES I CAN!
IF YOU ARE PEAR-SHAPED: TRY THIS JUMPSUIT
That’s me! I still avoid looking at my thighs in the mirror, but hey my hips don’t lie and they are here to stay, so I might as well make my peace with them… This jumpsuit gives me good coverage (notice the sleeves), while adding definition to my good parts (waist) and legs.
- Look for jumpsuits that narrow at the waist and sits well over your hips.
- As for the bottom, try for a straight- or wide-leg silhouette that skims your hips in the most flattering way.
- Size up – Do not be afraid to go one size bigger, to flatter those hips.
Introducing my friend in fashion, Nozipho Zee, you can call her Queen Zee! Also a pear-shaped beauty she rocks this floral jumpsuit from Prey.
IF YOU ARE APPLE-SHAPED: TRY THE BAGGY JUMPSUIT
You want to hide the pain areas (that’s your tummy)!
- Draw attention to the parts you love – for example your shoulders!
- Look out for a blousy top – to give your tummy some breathing space.
- Look for loser fabrics, linen and cotton is perfect! No clingy fabrics please!
- Apple shaped girls usually are a bit on the short side – amp up your style with some wedges! Look instantly taller!
IF YOU ARE A RECTANGLE: TRY A RUFFLED JUMPSUIT
Your body looks a bit like Cameron Diaz surfboard. Straight and narrow. Add some curves to your straight shape with ruffles, embroidery and fun prints.
- Volume is your friend! Ruffles add volume and it’s fashionable!
- Look out for a defined waist or ad a belt to create the illusion of a waist.
IF YOU ARE A TRIANGLE: TRY THE WIDE-LEGGED JUMPSUIT
You are in luck! The wide legged jumpsuit are EVERYWHERE this season. This shape flatters a lot of body shapes, but are perfect for the smaller on top, wider to the bottom shapes = triangle.
Yes, pear shaped beauties you can rock this jumpsuit as well, the wide pants balance your lucious hips.
Over to you Queen Zee…
- Broad straps take the attention away from your hips.
- Make sure it skims over your hips – size up if you need to.
- Do not be afraid to add some height with wedges or platform sneakers.
Queen Zee is wearing jumpsuit from Woolworths.
IF YOU ARE AN HOURGLASS: ANYTHING GOES AND YES WE ALL HATE YOU…
- Add a waistbelt to emphasize your waist.
- You can wear any fabric, be brave!
- Hold your head high and do not mind the jealous looks…
Quick styling tips for any jumpsuit
- If you wear a printed jumpsuit, keep your accessories simple! My floral jumpsuit is quite busy so I kept it simple with white sneakers.
- If you wear black then swoosh it up with some fabulous accessories like a statement necklace or chandelier earrings.
- Fit, fit fit! Get the perfect fit for you – an ill-fitting jumpsuit looks sloppy! NOT stylish!
- Define your waist – jumpsuits are all about the waist! Add a belt if necessary.
- Wear it all year round – add your favourite denim jacket or glam it up with a leather jacket and some heels.
- Stay away from pajama colour jumpsuits like grey and white for obvious reasons…
Helene (& Minki) & Zee
Share this post